- 2011: 65 T CO2e
- 2013: 49 T CO2e
GHG Reduction Highlights
- Welding gases
- Heat (natural gas)
- Waste diversion
- 25% reduction of total CO2e emissions
- $8,900 in annual cost savings
Aggressive Tube Bending, is a manufacturer employing 50 people between their two industrial facilities. It offers a wide spectrum of products and services, including pipe, tube, and structural steel forming, custom fabricating and manufacturing. The company measured its baseline emissions for the 2010/2011 fiscal year at a time when it was undergoing extensive renovations. This experience gave the company an additional lens—energy efficiency—through which to evaluate renovation options.
Aggressive Tube Bending has been working to reduce its emissions by improving insulation in its new facilities, introducing anti-idling practices for vehicles and heavy equipment, retrofitting lighting for maximum efficiency, reducing emissions from welding gases, increasing recycling efforts and eliminating unnecessary paper use.
Aggressive Tube Bending has reduced their overall emissions by 25%.
One of the company’s most impactful projects has been the replacement of two aging air compressors integral to its operations with a newer, considerably more efficient model in late 2012. The move followed a seven-day evaluation of the two-piston compressors’ usage and efficiency, which found they were significantly oversized for the output that was required of them.
The higher upfront cost of moving to a right-sized, higher-efficiency variable frequency drive compressor, compared to a standard model, was manageable due to the energy savings and utility incentives.
By replacing their two aging compressors with the high-efficiency model, and lowering the pressure of the compressor by 20 pounds-per-square-inch (psi)—which provides ~1% electricity savings per 1 psi lowered—Aggressive Tube is projected to save $7,700 annually and 109,500 kWh. After BC Hydro provided an incentive of $15,300, the projected payback on this $27,800 investment was lowered to 1.6 years.
- Emissions from CO2 released from welding gasses reduced by 20.22 tonnes of CO2e, a 32% reduction.
- Emissions from heat reduced by 9 tonnes of CO2e, a 33% reduction. This translated into cost savings of $1,200 and was a result of using individual space heaters and keeping bay doors shut whenever possible.
- Emissions from garbage reduced by 4 tonnes of CO2e, a 27% reduction, as the company made efforts to segregate cardboard and wood from regular garbage, to reduce as much packaging materials as possible, and expand their recycling program.