Thank you for your interest in working with Climate Smart. We are a small, entrepreneurial team driven by six core values:
- Exceptional Service
- Practical Solutions
- Profitable Sustainability
If these six values describe a place you’d like to work, please explore our current openings below.
We look forward to hearing from you!
Data and Knowledge Systems ManagerFull-time, permanent
Gastown, Vancouver, BC
Climate Smart is a dynamic social enterprise that is engaging the business sector to take action on climate change and move toward a resilient, low-carbon economy. Our unique combination of training, certification and software enables organizations to measure and reduce greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions while strengthening their business at the same time. We partner with local governments (e.g., City of Vancouver, City of Edmonton), transportation hubs (e.g., Port of Vancouver and Vancouver International Airport), and other organizations (e.g., Vancity, St. John’s Board of Trade) to engage the businesses in their networks and accelerate carbon reduction. Our aggregated data and related products (e.g., Business Energy and Emissions Profile – beep.eco – and our recent report, 200 Million Tonnes of Opportunity – http://200million.ca/) are used by our partners and others to inform community-wide emissions planning, policy and reduction initiatives. Climate Smart is a team of seven core employees who believe businesses play a critical role in addressing climate change. We care deeply about sustainability in and outside the office. Many of us bike to work and are committed to otherwise reducing the environmental footprint of our daily lives. Learn more about Climate Smart at climatesmartbusiness.com If you love data, get really excited about explaining complex information with numbers and stories, and are passionate about sustainability and climate action, read on!
About the PositionThis is an opportunity to grow with Climate Smart as we scale up across Canada. As Data and Knowledge Systems Manager, you will be responsible for the delivery of our current data products and services, and for helping develop innovative new ones. You will report to the president and will supervise a part-time data analyst – your partner in crime. You are a ‘numbers person’ who is comfortable presenting to prospective clients and happy collaborating with co-workers. You will combine your considerable skills in data and statistical analysis, mathematical modelling, and data visualization with a practical approach to solving problems and generating solutions. You will also manage Climate Smart’s internal information and knowledge systems. Finally, for the first 9 – 12 months in this position, you will work directly with a small portfolio of our business clients; this will give you first-hand experience with how our data points are created on the ground, business by business.
Data Products and Services:
- Manage methodology, development and delivery of Business Energy and Emissions Profile (beep.eco) interactive dashboards, using community business data and Climate Smart data, working with Tableau data visualization software
- Serve as technical sales support by conducting BEEP demos for prospective clients, answering methodology and other product questions
- Develop additional data-related products and services for BEEP clients (e.g., metadata analysis, benchmarking)
Program Impact Dashboards for Host Partners:
- Extract and aggregate data from the Climate Smart GHG management tool and Salesforce CRM using LOOKUP Excel functions
- Create interactive impact dashboards in Tableau for Climate Smart partners hosting our business training and certification program, including layout: charts, tables, and maps (sample dashboard here)
Information and Knowledge Systems Management:
- Maintain Climate Smart’s file sharing and storage systems (currently using Google Drive)
- Manage a software developer to conduct updates to the GHG management tool and prioritize and implement new features, with guidance from training and support staff
- Manage a database of GHG reduction plans in SurveyGizmo
- Review and assess data privacy systems and vulnerabilities
Manage Climate Smart Data and Metrics:
- Manage and analyze internal program data and metrics using Climate Smart’s GHG management tool and Salesforce CRM
Salesforce CRM Administration:
- Create reports and dashboards to track sales and program metrics
- Manage and create workflows to automate processes
- Maintain and improve Salesforce data quality
Business Client Advisor (15% time) – for first 9-12 months of position:
- Work with a small portfolio of business clients and coach them through the process of creating a GHG inventory, developing a reduction plan, and completing their Climate Smart certification
- Note: experience with GHG accounting is an asset but not required; training will be provided
Experience, Skills and Qualifications
- Technical expertise and confidence in data analysis (manipulating spatial, normalizing, visualization) and mathematical modelling
- Mastery of Excel and Salesforce CRM
- Proficiency with Tableau or other data visualization platform
- Customer service-oriented, enjoys presenting complex information to non-technical audiences
- Aptitude for identifying new customer needs and developing new data products
- Independent problem solver and solution generator
- Clear, concise communicator (written and verbal)
- Experience with GHG accounting and/or graphic design an asset but not required
How to ApplyPlease submit your cover letter and resume by midnight on May 4, 2018 to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line of “Data and Knowledge Systems Manager.” Please note that candidates will be assessed on a rolling basis, so early applications are strongly encouraged.
Climate Smart is an Equal Opportunity Employer: We are committed to the principles of equal and inclusive employment opportunities without regard to race, colour, religion, nationality, social or ethnic origin, sex, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, domestic partnership status or any other status that is representative of the communities we work in. Climate Smart encourages applicants from all communities.
We kindly ask for no phone calls please. We thank all candidates for applying. However, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.Click here for PDF copy of the above job description.